WordPress – How To Get Started In 5 Easy Steps
Setting a blog up in today’s world is a lot easier than it used to be and much easier than you might think. This is not a long technical process like many people would have you believe. Well this is no longer the case, as you will soon see as you read along.
if you follow along and take action, by the end you will have your very own blog up and running.
First I am going to explain the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org as there is often confusion. WordPress.com is a service which provides you with an up and running blog, you do not have to install it or maintain it but there are restrictions – You cannot upload any plugins or themes, you have to work with what is offered to you, and you are not allowed to have ads or banners on your blog, it can and does work well for many people but it is worth reading the terms and conditions before signing up. WordPress.org is a open-source self-hosted blogging tool which means you are free to do with it as you like with no restrictions and at no cost. This is what I will be showing you in this article.
1. Before you can get started with setting up your WordPress blog you will need to setup a hosting service with a domain name. I use BlueHost.com, but there are many other services available. Ask around to see if there is a service which you could sign up for, if not BlueHost are very competitive. If you are setting up a personal blog having your name as the domain name would be a good choice or you could come up with something imaginative. Now that you have your hosting service and your domain name all setup we can now start with the installation of WordPress.
2. Now that you have your hosting all setup, login to your domains Cpanel with the user name and password they provided you with. Once you have logged in to the Cpanel, scroll down the page until you find the ‘Software/Services’ tab, locate the ‘Simple Script’ icon and click it.
3. You will now arrive at the ‘Simple Script’ page with a list of web based applications which you can install. On the page you will see a heading called ‘Blogs’ and this is where you will see the WordPress application, click it to get started.
4. You will now be at the WordPress install page ready to start installing. You will now need to read through the page and click on the ‘Install Now’ button at the bottom of the page. Once you arrive at the install page you will see ‘Step 1: Installation Preferences’. he first drop down menu shows different versions of WordPress but you should always set this on the current version, but not a beta version. The next drop down menu is the domain you are going to be installing WordPress on. The domain name you chose when you setup your hosting service will appear in the drop down menu which can be changed if and when you have more than one domain name. You can also enter a directory name for which you would like to install onto, like I have done for example – my blogs web address is www.wordpresshowto.biz/blog. If you just want yourdomainname.com just leave the box blank. In ‘Step 2: Advanced Options’ enter the name of your site in the box provided in my case I will enter ‘WordPress How To’, now tick the box to ‘Automatically create a new database’. Final in ‘Step 3 Legal Information’ read and tick the box to agree, then tick the ‘Complete’ button.
5. Now Simple Script will install your WordPress blog onto your server and once done it will display your site URL, your login URL and finally your Username and Password. Your WordPress blog is now installed and visible, to view your newly installed blog just click on the site URL. You probably won’t think much of the look of your site at the moment but this can all be changed and you can have a lot of fun doing it, and again none of this is technical – it can all be done very easily and as I just said it’s also good fun.